Sunday, January 23, 2011

Top five biggest browns??? I think yes...

Rickie was at my house around 11:30 and we headed out for a quick fish on the Weber. We decided to target some more of the land lock steel head, that are reservoir rainbows coming up stream to spawn. (haha ... not real steelhead but still...)  As you can see by John Mcguinn's last post there are some big fish in the river right now...

Right off the bat I hooked a massive rainbow sitting off a shallow shelf. He took it to me and got out in the main current and started dragging me down stream, jumping and causing a wake to break in his path. I chased and worked him for about 5 minutes. We tried to net him a little pre-maturely though. These massive fish need lots of respect and you have to battle them just right or they will be gone. And so it goes the fish was netted by Rickie and flipped out the top of the net and was GONE. That got our blood moving with excitement.

After a long dry spell things picked up again. (it turns out we were following a couple of guys with spin rigs). They both had kept a couple of nice browns which brings up another point. To release or keep? Maybe its guys like this that make the river so healthy? I never see people on the Provo keeping 18 inch browns. Maybe less competition creates bigger, but maybe fewer fish? The debate rages on.... After a quick chat we tipped our hats and worked our way past them up stream.

With the big rainbow still fresh in our minds I hooked two big browns that pushed 20 inches I am sure.

Enjoy some photos of the outing...


This one was a jumper... Long and lean.


Gorgeous fish.


Very soft take but big fight. Seeing this one flash I knew it was big from the very start.


Top 5 for sure.


Nice little kype jaw.


Cool, calm and collected, Rickie does battle.


Landed a couple big fish of his own on the day.

Thanks for checking in.

Chris Giles

No comments:

Post a Comment