Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Ice Off

 Annual ice off at a favorite high mountain lake. 

 Lost track of this guy for a minute.

 4lbs and over twenty. I need to write a song with that title... CSNY anyone?

 Found a couple dinosaur eggs... The crane family was near by yelling at us to stay away. Had to grab a quick shot...

 Moose, deer, ducks, magpies, crows, squirrels, trout, a few bugs and  lots of...

 Elk.

 Fishing this lake is tough but very rewarding. McGuinn had a couple on but lost them and his streamer. These are big fish. Catching one is consider a good day. Water was murky and we were blind casting streamers. Should get better and better as the season goes on.

 We started up Parley's committed to the Provo. Then we gravitated to the Weber. Then we decided to take a chance that the snow was off the dirt road and go for the high altitude lake. Wish McGuin would have landed one but we will be back...
 
Had some auto body work done by Woody at Driftwood Auto Body. We go way back as family friends and we both share a passion for big trout. When I walked in he showed me his recent bamboo fly rod project. Unreal... This guy also builds wooden drift boats from scratch and he has also started building his own custom nets. He was showing me one of his nets and as I was admiring it he casually remarked "Just don't tell me I never gave you anything". What a classic... Walnut wood boat net. Polished to perfection. Well made gear is what its all about. Now I got to buy one of his bamboo rods.
Thanks,
Chris Giles

No comments:

Post a Comment